Students, Parents, and Coaches,
Thank you for your interest in the 2016 Region VI Championships for scholastic chess to be held at
Southwest High School
in San Antonio on February 20, 2016.
Please follow these steps to be ready for the chess tournament:
- Verify your registration and payment status
The names are initially hidden, but you can login to see names and confirm payments. To login, use your USCF # or player's name and the
password you provided earlier. If you did not provide a password, leave the password blank, submit, and select the green or yellow
button next to your name
to begin the password reset process. After login, search for your name and confirm that your information is correct
(including the correct section and bye requests) and that you have no red on your line. If there is a problem,
please contact the registrar, email@example.com. If it's all green and black, you're ready to play. If you plan to pay
on site, the cost is $40 for scholastic players, $25 for adult players; the refund date of Feb 12 has passed. Note
that on-site payments for scholastic sections
may receive a half-point bye
for the first round due to difficulties with last-minute pairings.
- Bring your chess clock, if you have one, and bring stuff to do between games. Chess boards and pieces for tournament games
will be provided. If you don't have clock (and if your opponent
doesn't either), then the tournament director will place a clock on your game near the end of the round to ensure that you finish on time.
Chess notation is strongly encouraged for all players and required for anyone playing in Elementary or older sections.
There is plenty of seating (tables and chairs) in the mall area
at Southwest High School.
- Park in one of the big lots. They'll be easy to see if you come from the north on 1604. Southwest High School is at
11914 Dragon Lane, San Antonio, TX 78252.
- Arrive at the school in time to reach your board(s) at least 15 minutes before your scheduled time to play the first
round. If you have already verified your payment at the given link, there is no need to check in. Paid players go directly to their boards. Parents and coaches go directly to the mall after helping their students find their boards. There will be announcements in the mall after we get
all the players started on their first games.
- 7:30am: Doors open
- 8:00am: On-site registration (if needed), ending at 8:30am
- 8:15am: Championship players at their boards in the
- 8:45am: Non-championship scholatic players at their boards in the
- 9:00am: Adult players at their boards in the
- 9:30am: Announcements for everyone else in the
- Remember that it will be a long slow day. You play all rounds even if you lose; if you need to leave early,
please tell one of the tournament directors. Each round you will be paired with someone having a similar
win-loss record. Food is available for purchase throughout the day. Most
sections will finish around 4:00pm to 5:30pm, but games in championship sections may go as late as
7:30pm. Award ceremonies will immediately follow completion of each section as soon as possible. Play hard. Play fair.
For more information, please see one of the following links.
Ross Johnson, Chief Tournament Director
February 15, 2016
p.s. I'm the tall guy in the Snoopy tie.